Friday, April 13, 2012

The Itch

So, you know how we move a lot? Sometimes when we've lived in one place for a while I start to get this itch to move again. I am starting to feel the itch now. But we won't be moving any time soon. Nate did finish the first draft of his dissertation a couple of weeks ago (YAY!!!!) and is now working on making corrections and waiting for his supervisor to return his other chapters with suggested corrections. What that means is that we most likely wont be able to apply for any new positions for this fall but will have to wait until next fall. We knew when we moved here that it would most likely be for 2 years, and we will be fine here for another year. I just think it is so strange to be feeling this way when I REALLY dislike moving. I would say it is one of my top 5 least favorite things to do! But I have to admit (and Nate and I have talked about this a little before) sometimes when I see a U-Haul truck heading somewhere I am secretly envious. Maybe it is just that I am craving some adventure because I'll be honest, there isn't a whole lot of adventure going on here! Or maybe I know that this isn't "the place" for us so I just want to get on with it. But then that makes me wonder if we will ever find "the place". There are a couple of places we have lived that I think I could be happy for a while and I think a big part of those places are that we had friends and our kids had friends. I don't feel like I have had that for a really long time. I know I have friends, and there have been great people where ever we have lived but I need friends who live nearby and that I see on a regular basis and that I can call anytime to see if they want to go to the park or have a picnic or go get pizza, without feeling like they don't necessarily want to be hanging out. I know I am probably over reacting about this but it has been on my mind a bit lately.

I know what I need to do is stop worrying about the next place we will live and make myself happy here. First off I need to come up with A LOT of activities for the kids to do this summer because if we sit around watching Netflix all day I think I might completely lose it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I understand. I want you to live somewhere awesome too! I wish we could live in the same area again. Maybe someday! ;) It'd be sweet! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Oh, I know that feeling SO well. It comes around every so often, even though it hasn't been quite time to leave where I am yet... which is SO strange because I've been here five years, which is the longest I've lived anywhere except one house in Vallejo growing up (seven years). That feeling is a blessing and a curse. Sometimes it's for real, sometimes it's just habitual - you know?


    Do you get the feeling of detachment when you're supposed to move, too? When I'm supposed to leave soon, I'll be walking down a sidewalk or someplace I walk every day and it feels foreign instead of familiar - it'll even smell different.

    Maybe your next move will take you someplace wonderfully exotic that you'll adore. :) Fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete