Saturday, August 13, 2011

backyard guests

One day Nate and I were in the kitchen and I looked out the sliding glass door into the backyard and could see something moving on the hill in our neighbors backyard. I stared at it for a while and finally decided I had to know what was up there. I was so excited to find it was a turtle. An Eastern Box turtle to be exact. I brought it back down to our patio so Liam and Jonas could have a look and of course take some pictures.




We thought about keeping him as a pet but decided it would be too much work and he probably wouldn't be very happy. So after we played with him for a bit (watched him poke his head out of the shell) we let him go to walk back up our huge hill back into the trees.


We also have 5 or 6 deer that come into our backyard to eat.

For a while it was like clockwork, every morning and night they would come around but I don't think they liked us watching them. Now they mostly go to the neighbor's yards where we can't see them as well. I'm kind of happy they don't like our yard as much. One morning before school they were out there eating and Liam decided he was going to go out and see them. He went out the front door and snuck around the house. I was still watching from the back door and could see one (the mama) looking towards the side of the house standing very still and then she started stomping her hoof. I ran around the front screaming for Liam to come back. I was really scared that she was going to charge him!

One day when we were out mowing the lawn we also saw a couple snakes. The week earlier our neighbor told us her gardener had seen a Copperhead snake (venomous) in their yard and said they were very common in our area. So when we saw a snake we automatically assumed it was a Copperhead and wanted to get rid of it. Nate took care of it and then later on I saw another while I was mowing. After looking up pictures online we aren't certain they really were Copperheads but with 2 little boys running around the backyard we didn't want to take any chances.

We have also seen quite a few lizards, a couple of frogs and a stick bug in our yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment